As Spring begins to blossom and the depths of winter melt away, it is the perfect time for homeowners to check the overall condition of their property and to make sure it is in tip top shape for the Summer months, and Lianne Burton, Head of Customer Care for Bewley Homes, has some great tips to help:
- Give your property a ‘once-over’ to check for any damage which may have been caused by harsh weather over the Winter. For example if the building has any timber cladding, look at the exterior woodwork and take the opportunity to repair any damaged areas, then treat and repaint.
- As the weather gets warmer, there is an increased risk of pests. They can wreak a lot of havoc and cause costly damage. To stop them coming into your property, check the roof for slipped tiles, rips or tears; make sure there isn’t any crumbling brickwork or holes in the outside walls; check airbricks and ventilation covers along with historic gaps from old plumbing systems.
- Get your boiler serviced. Your boiler and heating may have been working overtime during the colder months, so take the opportunity now to mitigate any future issues by getting your boiler serviced.
- If your property benefits from air conditioning, get the units checked now so they can be fully operational in good time for hotter temperatures.
- Check gutters and downpipes and make sure they are clear of leaves and debris and that soakaways are clear and free running – this will minimise build up of water which can lead to damp.
- Take a look at your garden. To enjoy it during the Summer months, clear lawns and boarders of obvious weeds before they take hold and make sure you regularly water new turf.
- If you have patio or garden furniture, it may need to be cleaned and, if made of wood, re-oiled to make it look smart in time for outdoor entertaining.
- If you have an outdoor pool, now is the time to open it up, top it, clear any debris and make sure the chemicals are level, so it is in full working order by the Summer.